Scott Brown: A Change for Massachusetts

Posted on 20 January 2010

Senator Scott Brown

A year after Barack Obama’s inauguration brought “change to America,” an unexpected change has occurred in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.  Republican Scott Brown, a heretofore obscure State Senator and real estate attorney, won election to the United States Senate by defeating Democrat Martha Coakley in the Special Election to fill the remaining three years of deceased Senator Ted Kennedy’s term of office.  In arguably the country’s most liberal state and in a startling turnabout from polls showing him trailing by 20% as recently as two weeks ago, Brown defeated Coakley by 5 percentage points just one year after Barack Obama carried the state by 26% over his Republican rival, Senator John McCain.

The stunning results have severely dampened the mood of Democrats in Washington and thrown a monkey wrench into the Obama Administration’s plans for healthcare reform.  When seated, Brown will become the 41st Republican in the U.S. Senate; thereby, robbing the Democrats of their filibuster-proof majority.  Perhaps more significantly, Brown’s election and margin of victory in a state in which Democrats outnumber Republicans by 3 to 1 calls into question the public’s support for the Administration’s agenda for change, most notably in the healthcare arena.

With elections for the entire House of Representatives and 36 of the 100 Senate seats looming in November, Brown’s victory, following GOP gubernatorial wins in New Jersey and Virginia, provides mounting evidence of the American public’s unease with the nature and pace of change as it currently exists.  As our 44th President is learning, talking about change is easy; securing agreement and implementing change is difficult in the extreme.

As individuals, we struggle as we contend with change versus the status quo.  The idea of fresh ideas and approaches is very appealing yet also frightening, taking us out of our comfort zones.  Is it surprising that, when faced with momentous changes, the public collectively responds as do individuals?

In my humble opinion, Scott Brown’s surprising victory is an indication of the public’s ambivalence over the Democrats’ agenda for change and one-party rule.  Overwhelmed by the scope and rapidity of change, the voters of Massachusetts have taken a small step toward restoring balance to our legislative process and perspective.  This coming November, I believe that voters across the country will likely continue this trend.

Yet, one should be careful not to read too much into Brown’s victory or the prospective Republican electoral surge this fall.  The public holds neither Republicans nor Democrats in particularly high esteem.  And, the American people are smarter than politicians and their minions give them credit.

We understand that, as a nation, we face perplexing problems:  an economic downturn spawning persistent and worrisome unemployment levels, rapidly accelerating healthcare costs and deficiencies in health insurance coverage, climate change regardless of root cause, the growing threat of terrorism on American soil, and a deepening cynicism and distrust of government.  And, we realize that change is necessary if we are to resolve these and a host of other issues.  Yet, we are dissatisfied with the solutions offered and appalled by the rancor of current political discourse and the crass indifference of the Washington elite toward the citizens whom they represent.

Under these conditions, the victory of a relative political unknown over a well-oiled party machine should have come as no surprise.  And so, congratulations Scott Brown.  But, when you get to Washington, keep in mind the horse upon which you rode into town and resolve yourself to find and promote common ground with those of every political persuasion in crafting uniquely American solutions to our most pressing problems.  If you do, then that would be a change in which we all can believe.

13 Responses to “Scott Brown: A Change for Massachusetts”

1. Jack S. Fogbound says:

After the cheering comes reality,Senator Brown will be swimming with the sharks of both parties when he sits in the peoples seat. He has filled the sails of the Republican Party, but some of them will sell their souls for power and money. He has promised country first when voting on issues and America is watching. Our new President also made such promises and the rest is history. America desparately needs new Leaders to rid government of representatives who empower themselves under the guise of patriotism. Here’s hoping he will be the catalyst to put country first in the mindset of his colleagues.

2. Willis Leehan says:

Extremely great article, really enlightening stuff. Never ever imagined I’d obtain the info I would like right here. I’ve been looking all over the internet for a while now and was starting to get frustrated. Luckily, I stumbled across your internet site and received exactly what I had been struggling to find.

3. Flossie Muenchow says:

On the whole, I am not very fond of politics in general – however, at times we all have to take notice. There are some very good issues raised here, and I am considering the point – thanks.

4. Guzowski says:

It appears that you’ve put a good amount of effort into your article and I demand a lot more of these on the World Wide Web these days. I truly got a kick out of your post. I do not have a bunch to to say in reply, I only wanted to register to say phenomenal work.

5. Elmira Vines says:

While this makes sense and I agree, you have to ask if Sarah Palin would support it if Rush Limbaugh said it and called it sarcasm 😉 haha

6. Deidra Nguyen says:

I found your post quite beneficial. It’s often not easy to make a complex topic appear very easy. I enjoy your weblog and will sign up to your feed so I won’t miss out on anything. Impressive content.

7. Mazie Campobasso says:

To start, allow me to point out that your internet site is fantastic. I love the theme that you have. It was very easy on the eyes. Appreciate your article too. Definitely subscribed to your feed to make sure I won’t be missing out on any updates. Excellent job! Toast to a productive business

8. Ruby P. Asay says:

Thanks a lot I really enjoyed reading this. It makes me want to create my own blog! Just what subject though? I am a dentist by profession but can’t imagine many people wanting to read about dentistry? Maybe I am wrong!

9. Maurine Tllo says:

Excellent blog, i’m glad you’re enjoying it. I have just got interested in blogging and hopefully i am able to do so

10. Tamekia Hronek says:

Great idea this, we’re glad you like it. I need some time to think about this

11. Jeremy says:

The problem with this country is BOTH the Democrats and Republicans. Anyone who seriously thinks that one side isn’t corrupt or slaves to Corporate America hasn’t done an adequate job of paying attention. To the Republicans: The GW administration will go down in History as one of the worst administrations. They eroded your constitutional rights, expanded the power of the wealthy elite, invaded countries under false pretenses, destroyed diplomatic relations with the rest of the world, and spent money like it was going out of style. To the Democrats: Obama is a dud. He promised much and has turned out to be another corporate lackey. He made deals with big pharma to ensure you could not get your medication cheaper elsewhere, he flip flopped on military tribunals, he refuses to fix health care properly through nationalization or single payer, he populates his inner circle with more Wall Street insiders, he spends money on bailouts and useless stimulus packages.

12. NCH says:

When the US Supreme (idiot) Court overturned campaign finance laws which will allow corporations and foreign governments to essentially buy US elections, I decided it’s time for me to give up on voting, except at my local level. I’m done. What’s the point now?