The After-Christmas Blues

Posted on 26 December 2009

After-Christmas Blues

December 26th.  The Feast of the 7 Fishes is a memory, Santa has returned to the North Pole, and you are feeling as if you just finished ten rounds with the heavyweight champion of the world.  Do you feel at a loss when someone asks, “What did you get for Christmas?”  “Was it something you really wanted or something that will take immediate residence in your closet or perhaps, be re-gifted to someone else in the future?”

Today, the spirit of Christmas gets lost in the materialism that has come to surround the Holiday; foremost of which is the price paid for the gifts given and received.  Then, to add to your woes are the looming credit card bills that must be paid as a “reward” for your generosity.  This changes the spirit from “Merry Christmas” to “Bah Humbug.”

Strange as it may seem, when peace on earth and good will toward men should prevail, the empty feeling of the day-after reminds us of the truth of the adage “money does not buy happiness.”  There is an old Italian lament, “Natale sta arrivando e io hae senza soldi, quindi leggo i giornali e andare e letto” that translates to “Christmas is coming and I have no money, so I’ll read the papers and go to bed.”

The Good Lord did not, I believe, want his birthday to be a financial burden on his followers.  The gifts we give should be the gifts of love to our family, friends, and fellow man and the trust that, having received these gifts, they would receive the even greater gift of the Peace of the Lord.

Although this attitude may be considered bad for business, it would bring peace and sanity to all of those of us who have found ourselves in the hustle and bustle of shopping at all hours of the day and night to bring material happiness to the ones we love.

The real treasures in life can be found in the company of family and friends when we gather in His name.  In the spirit of God, “let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me!”

6 Responses to “The After-Christmas Blues”

1. Jack says:

Amen Brother

2. Wishes to remain anonymus says:

When I had only two nickels to rub together and lived alone, my Christmases were wonderful. I was forced to make presents for my family members and friends, usually cookies or steamed pudding with hard sauce and sometimes, fruit-flavored liquers. I researched old recipes and learned how to can food this way. Everyone raved about my presents.

Now that I have an enormous extended family of in-laws, including children who were not taught the true value of money (the hard work it took to earn it), I dread Christmas and wish it would take a permanent vacation.

3. mae says:

I agree with Wishes no matter how hard you try anyway no one ever seems to to totally satisfied with their gifts.
    There is always a hoity toity side of familes that stick up their nose no matter what they get. So I say why run up you credit cards for 1 day of the year and it may take you months to pay back.

My father never was one for gift giving on Christmas. However he did enjoy a hearty dinner with everyone in the family sitting around the table. He preferred us staying at home that day being a family unit.
    Being together and having our health was a much greater gift. Having food to eat and being inside where it was warm.

The author is so right about family being the real treasure not all those clearence christmas items that are piled in the shopping cart the day after christmas. I am sure you do not even need them because last years purchases are probably in the attic or a closet or basement somewhere.

4. Cortez Manbeck says:

Love this post! Thanks for this. I’ll be sure to come back again. P.S: I’ve bookmark your site as well.

5. Saul Dally says:

Thanks for this cool post. Anyway i found your blog on google and find it very useful. I’ll be sure to come back again for more!

6. credit card interest charges says:

I agree completely, its no wonder people just dont get it. In this day and age its imperative.