Diamond Strike in New Jersey!

Posted on 28 May 2009

cape-may-diamondscape-may-diamonds

If “Diamonds Are a Girl’s Best Friend” as Carol Channing sang in the original Broadway production of “Gentlemen Prefer Blondes,” then what is a Jersey Girl’s best friend?  Why, of course, Cape May Diamonds!

Ordinarily, one would expect to travel to the mines in South Africa to find these precious stones.  But, we in New Jersey have our own version; albeit, our stones would be considered more semi-precious than precious.

These stones have their origin in the upper reaches of the Delaware River and are washed downstream to be deposited on the beaches of Delaware Bay.  Cape May is land’s end in the state of New Jersey where the mouth of the Bay joins the Atlantic Ocean.

The translucent stones are a variety of quartz found in Pennsylvania and, after many years traversing the Delaware River, are deposited on the beaches of Cape May.  When polished, they give the appearance of diamonds; hence, they derive the name Cape May Diamonds.

One particular beach on which they are found in abundance is Sunset Beach on Delaware Bay.  Here, a pleasant day can be spent harvesting these stones while enjoying the sun and sand.  In addition, you might just create a diamond in the rough for that special someone in your life.

If you are ever bored and want to enrich your life, a trip to Sunset Beach in Cape May may prove to be a rewarding experience.

7 Responses to “Diamond Strike in New Jersey!”

1. Kelly says:

Interesting. I’ve been to Cape May many times and never heard the story of the Cape May diamonds.

2. Author says:

Thank you for your interest, give it atry the next time you visit Cape May

3. Jamie says:

You had me at “Diamonds!” What a great story! I never knew this and I frequent the Jersey shore all year round! Now I will have to go on a little scavenger hunt for the “Cape May Diamonds!” Thanks for sharing!

4. Kimmie says:

My Family and I love Sunset Beach but, I have never heard of “Cape May Diamond” before. I will have to find some treasure next time we are visiting there. Thanks for the tip!

5. Author says:

Nice to hear from you Kimmie, good luck in your search.

6. Wila K. says:

My father in law, who lives in NYC, sometimes visits Cape May. He is fascinated by geogoly and often visits the little souvenir shop at Sunset Bay, specifically to buy Cape May Diamonds and tumble them to brilliance at home. He also likes to see the ever-sinking Iron Ship not far from the beach.

7. Wila K. says:

Sorry, I meant to say “geology”. I must have been blinded by a Cape May Diamond. 😉